This is my go-to holiday coat! I wore it today 12-2015 and still got tons of compliments! I didn’t wear the silly hat, or fancy shoes. 🙂
This is how we used to set up our weekly blog posts for the Sew Weekly. We made a theme based outfit every week and wrote a blog post about our outfits! Crazy, right?
Fabric: Mid-weight woven plaid fabric and red lining
Pattern: Butterick 5145
Notions: 9 leather covered buttons (could be faux leather)
Time to complete: Forever! One full day and three evenings
First worn: December 3 for photo-shoot
Wear again? I plan to wear it through the holiday season. It’s so warm!
Total price: The fabric was thrifted, the buttons and interfacing were about $25.00
I’ve never made a coat before, so the winter challenge was the perfect opportunity for me to give it a try. I did a little research on coat-construction and found that it is highly recommended that you underline all of your pieces with interfacing. I didn’t have enough fusible interfacing so I used sew on. I had to carefully sew it on without it stretching or sliding out of place. It took a lot of time.
I followed the directions carefully and had very few hiccups. I took my time, and I was rewarded with this beautiful coat.
I had everything completed except the hem and the buttons, so late Saturday, I practiced making buttonholes. I tried bound buttonholes, tried using a gimp thread under the stitching, and different kinds of thread weights, but finally I decided to just use a heavy duty thread on the top and a normal cotton thread in the bobbin. Although the bound buttonholes look pretty nice on the internet, I just didn’t feel like risking any mistakes. Especially after all the hours I had put into the coat so far.
On Sunday, I stopped at Beverly’s on my way down to visit one of my daughters. I purchased 9 leather buttons. Five for the front, one on each sleeve and two for the back. I made all the buttonholes and attached the buttons on Sunday night.
Monday, after work, I got right to the business of hemming the coat and hemming the lining. I spent four hours doing that part! The daylight disappears so quickly this time of year, so my husband took some indoor shots for me. I made the little hat as an experiment a few weeks ago. It’s just craft felt, a bit of lace and an inexpensive flower.
I think it looks pretty cute in the pictures, but I don’t think I would actually wear it. Below are a few pictures of the different stages of the coat. I’d like to try it again at some point, but I think I’ll use a fusible woven interfacing for the underlining next time. Happy sewing everyone!