On this sunny spring weekend, I went on a great hike and photoshoot with two friends. I was told by my friend who just got a brand new camera, to come all “dolled up” so that she could practice taking photos. So, in preparation for this great opportunity to model and have pics taken with a camera that’s much much better that my iPhone 4, I just had to make a new dress.
It had to be a quick and easy one, since I’m so busy with client work this week. I chose McCall’s 7118, a simple summer dress with several different back bodice variations. I chose version D. My pattern only went up to size 12, so I had to size up to a 14. I find it fairly easy to judge how much to enlarge a multi-sized pattern by how much they have enlarged the pattern between the sizes. When the pattern line goes inside the other lines, I trace a new line, so that I don’t spoil the pattern.
After studying the line drawings and auditioning different laces and fabrics, I found the perfect combination. I used the back of a too small, thrifted top for the bodice back and a woven plaid for the front and lower back.
I noticed that the back is cut lower than where your bra strap comes across, so I used the lining from the top to line it half way and cover the bra strap. I added some front darts to create some shaping and also to break up the plaid a bit. This pattern is rated EASY and indeed it was really easy. I modified the bodice back by making it one piece instead of two with a closure.
It fit easily over my head, so no zipper or closure was necessary. I used a decorative stitch across the back and around the neck line. I also used my new blind stitch machine to quickly hem it. I tried the nylon blind stitch thread for the first time and had success! I’m still learning how to use it. So far I really like what it can do.
My other friend who also shared this wonderful day with me, she is a watercolor artist and is always practicing her quick sketches. Here are some thumbnail sketches that she did of the surrounding area, and one of me!