Me and The Inspirational Tim Gunn!

IMG_0336I attended a discussion and book signing of the well-know television personality and author, Tim Gunn at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco. My daughter works for the Commonwealth Club, the oldest and largest public forum in the U.S.

IMG_0329 She treated my husband and me to premium tickets for this very special event. You can imagine that I was more than excited to meet Tim and listen to him speak so personally about his life, his experiences on Project Runway, and about his new book, “Tim Gunn: the Natty Professor”.

IMG_1928.JPG Tim Gunn, is the mentor and advisor to the designers on Project Runway. These designers go through grueling fashion design challenges each week.  The outcome of the show is to see who will go to Fashion Week and who will earn some very awesome prizes to help them jump-start their career. Tim explained that it isn’t easy to complete the challenges in the time frame of the show. The judges can be pretty hard on any puckers, bad stitching, and finishes. He says that his roll is to listen very clearly to the designers, then advise and motivate them to “Make it Work!”

11096531_10155354180235307_6672054333013059578_n

My daughter, Kimberly, presents Tim Gunn

I had to make a new dress for this special event, so I chose Gertie’s vintage inspired Butterick 6094. It has a close fitting lined bodice and contrasting facings. Version A has a full circle skirt cut on the bias, and a petticoat.

IMG_0322IMG_0328It has the cutest back detail, with the contrasting fabric opened out above the zipper and decorated with buttons. I made a muslin of the bodice first, tweaked the pattern to fit me, and then cut and sewed it together. I wasn’t going to add the petticoat, but at the last minute I decided that I should just go for it and make the dress as directed. I drove to the nearest fabric store, 40 miles round trip, and bought 3 yards of lining and 3 yards of crisp veil-like fabric for the ruffle. I sewed French seams on the petticoat and machine gathered the 8 inch ruffle that attaches to it. I was able to roll hem the ruffle, the petticoat, and the skirt bottom on my serger. I used wooly nylon on the upper looper and it worked like a dream! I covered two buttons with the dress fabric, and inserted an invisible zipper. The  lining was turned and hand-sewn inside the bodice and along the zipper tape.

At the reception, my daughter introduced me to Tim and we posed for pictures.

IMG_0334I told Tim that I had made my dress. He was impressed! I wore my RTW faster pin proudly and was delighted to explain that all of us fasters had pledged not to buy ready-to-wear clothing. Our goal is to make everything. You can see by his studious look that he was intrigued.

IMG_0338Not only was it a grand experience to be at this special Commonwealth presentation, but also to be with my charismatic and charming daughter, Kimberly.

10491253_10155354974425307_6564836230341245490_nShe facilitated on stage with introductions, and at the end with all the logistics for the book signing procedure. There were hundreds of people in that line!

IMG_0337Enough talk already! Here are some more pictures!

Thank you, Hannah, for snapping some cute pics of this darling dress!

IMG_0360 IMG_0354 IMG_0350

This entry was posted in Art, Blogging, DIY, Family, Fashion, Sewing, theatre, Tutorial, vintage, Vintage sewing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Me and The Inspirational Tim Gunn!

1. Melissa says:

I’m so jealous. I love Tim Gunn!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. Cheryl says:

What a great dress and matching ‘ponytail’. You look so happy wearing it and meeting Tim Gunn

Liked by 1 person

3. jean says:

How exciting to have been there! And to meet Tim! Love your dress. I wonder what he thought about our RTW fast. .

I know, I thought about that too. Project Runway is all about designing for production of ready-to-wear. As much as I love Project Runway, I like the Great British Sewing Bee more. Those are real sewists! There should be a component to Project Runway, that involves the audience. Perhaps they could invite us to sew and submit our looks for judging and prizes. 🙂

4. So exciting Barbara! What a wonderful evening. So fun to see pictures and hear all about your night. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

5. Adelhid says:

You look lovely! So glad you added the petticoat, the dress looks great on you!

Liked by 1 person

6. Alethia says:

What an exciting opportunity to meet Tim Gunn, cudos to your beautiful daughter for making that happen! Your dress is absolutely gorgeous, I love all the details!
    I enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

7. How fun! I had the great pleasure of hearing Tim Gunn at a fashion show some years ago, and he’s every bit as charming and kind and thoughtful and funny in person as he is on the show. No acting required for that part! Your post reminded me of that wonderful outing, and your dress looks fantastic! Perfect fit!

Liked by 1 person

8. Wow what a fabulous night, and knock-out dress!! Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. You did a great job with the dress, the fit and drape are perfect. I love the back detail too! Very unique 🙂

Liked by 1 person

I think this dress would look good on a lot of figure types. I haven’t seen very many on the internet, so I’m glad I was able to add one.
      Thank you for your nice compliments!

9. atubrett says:

Lucky Lady! What a wonderful opportunity and your dress is perfectly appropriate for such an occasion. Thank you for sharing the details of your day.

10. What a great opportunity to meet and talk to Tim Gunn! Your dress was perfect for a big night out, and love reading about all the details that went into making it a stand out piece.

Liked by 1 person

11. sewdooley says:

What an experience! And to have your daughter in such an important role, I’m sure you were bursting with pride to see her up on the stage. I love Tim Gunn and will get that book ASAP. Your dress looks beautiful, I love the back detail.

Liked by 1 person

12. zibergirl says:

Thank you so much for the nice compliments. It really was a memorable experience to see both Tim and my daughter at such a special event.

13. Ebi Poweigha says:

What a dress! Your version of it makes the pattern so much more appealing to me … really, really beautifully and well done. And wow, a meet and greet with Tim Gunn? Too cool. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

14. What a fantastic and interesting post! I am not familiar with Tim Gunn, but your dress is beautiful, your daughter is clearly impresssive! I do have very fond memories of the Castro Theater from a visit long ago. Lucky lucky you!

Liked by 1 person

15. What an awesome experience and you got to share it with your daughter! awesome!

16. Anny says:

You’re so lucky! I adore Tim Gunn and Project Runway! And your dress could steal the show!

17. Your dress was amazing – I love the back detail . How fun that you wore your RTW fast pin . I still love the one you made for me , but I don’t think I can top the experience you had with yours !!
    Love Tim Gunn & love your dress & post.
    Thx