The Patriot Skirt!

IMG_9895Here is my second skirt using the skirt sloper that I made after taking Suzi Furrer’s Craftsy Class. This time I made a skirt that comes to my waist with a waistband. I noticed that the woven fabric that I scored at the local thrift, was perfect for designing a skirt with fringe.

IMG_9894With this in mind, I cut out my skirt, added 1/2 inch seam allowance, and carefully matched up the plaid at the side seams. I cut the waistband on the bias as a design element. I applied iron-on interfacing to it, which gave it body and kept it from stretching.

IMG_9893 I cut a lining from a thrifted slip (my new inexpensive, lining source) and attached it to the waistline of the skirt, making tucks at the location of the darts on the skirt. Suzi says that tucks allow for more ease and that you really shouldn’t put darts in the skirt lining. I sewed in an invisible zipper, and attached one side of the waistband, right sides together, to the waist of the skirt. I carefully pined the inside, then topstitched from the top, catching the folded edge on the inside of the waistband.

IMG_9900I sewed a zigzag stitch just above the point where I wanted the fringe to begin. Then I pulled the horizontal threads out, until I got to about 1/2 inch from the zigzag stitch. I made a buttonhole and sewed on a pretty red button.

Fabric: Woven red,white, and blue thrifted fabric
Pattern: Personal Skirt Sloper
Year: 2015
Notions: interfacing, zipper
Time to complete: One evening
First worn: January 18 for a surprise birthday party for hubbie, and the Patriot’s game.
Wear again? Yes! I love red and the fringe is fun and a little Western
Total price: Less than $5.00 in materials, free labor!

This entry was posted in Art, Blogging, Customizable Sewing Patterns, DIY, Family, Fashion, Sewing, Upcycle and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Patriot Skirt!

1. cadderly2 says:

So cute!!! I love the hem!!

Liked by 1 person

2. klscott52 says:

Very cute….fringe adds so much. Great fit.

Liked by 1 person

3. Love it! Great colours, i like read & blue too and the fringe gives it such a playful feeling! Great fit too! I guess the class works 🙂

4. prttynpnk says:

Must have fringe hemmed skirt!!! Also, great tip about slip lining!

Liked by 1 person

5. vmtr4life says:

Your fabric was perfect for this pattern. I love it. I have been on the fence on this pattern but the fabric drape on yours if perfect! I also lean to a simple and classic style…..it never goes out of style!

Liked by 1 person

6. vmtr4life says:

UGH….computer mistake!! I wanted to say….I LOVE the fringe also!!! I am planning to work through that Craftsy class in Feb! Really looking forward to it!

7. sewfrancie says:

Ok, you and I think an awful lot alike! I’m all about penny pinching when I sew. I add up the cost of the garment as I make it. It reminds me of one of the many reasons that handmade is better than retail.
    Thrifted fabric is fabulous! I get tons of fabric from thrift stores. (Patterns too sometimes!) Thrifted slips as lining?! Wow, brilliant! How did you think of that? That’s probably one of the best thrift store ideas I’ve ever seen. Well guess where I’ll be heading soon!
    I love the fringe. I have fabric with a similar texture that I was hesitant to use because of the fraying possibilities, but now I can see myself using that as a feature. Thanks for that!
    You really just dumped a bucket of ideas on my brain.
    Oh, and congrats on your first sloper!

Liked by 1 person

8. Ebi Poweigha says:

Lovely skirt, and very festive! The fringe is a great touch. Thanks for the tip about sewing tucks in the lining of a skirt, it makes a lot of sense.