Ok, friends, neighbors, and fellow sewers, it’s time to vote over at The Monthly Stitch. Click the button above and it will take you to the voting page. My entry is called Rock’n the River Dress. Thanks!
This dress needs water! Take me to the river, please. We threw our towels and water bottles in a tote and headed 20 miles north to the Eel River. Would there be much water? Has the drought taken it’s tole here too? I craned my neck to see over the side of the road that winds along the river. Finally, we came to a bridge and thankfully the river flowed and sparkled underneath us. We parked and walked down the short trail to the rocky shoreline.
Water, heat, and natural beauty surrounded us. We took the pictures first, and then we dove in! It was just like old times. I’ve been going out to that river since I was a teenager.
I’m entering this beach/river/swimming pool dress into The Indie Dress contest this week June 1-7 over at The Monthly Stitch. There will be a voting process at the end of the week, so I’ll be most appreciative if you vote for my cute little dress! Thank you ahead of time.
Here are the details of my dress:
Fabric: 100% stretch-knit cotton, a yard sale treasure!
Pattern: Lekala Hooded Tunic – Sewing Pattern #4151
Notions: One blue sport zipper
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: June 4, 2014 on the Eel River for a swim
Wear again? It’s perfect as a swimsuit coverup, easy in and out with the zip!
Total price: Fabric free, zipper $3.00
As you can see, I changed this pattern up a little. I didn’t have enough fabric for the hood, so I finished the neck with blue bias tape, turning it toward the outside for decoration. I made a seam down the center front skirt, so that I could extend the zipper down the skirt, making it easy to get in and out of. I cut the back of the skirt on the fold.
Since there was a great boarder print of ladies in colorful wide swimsuit coverups, I decided to make a gathered skirt to show them off. I kept the wonderful side pockets. I think I’ll add pockets to everything I make from now on. They are so handy! 🙂 Every seam was serged and then sewn. I do that when I want the seam to be secure.
The bodice front pattern piece was too small for me. I guess it would work if you had really stretchy fabric, like lycra or something and if you had a small bust. Notice that there are no darts on the front in the diagram. I ended up cutting two new front bodice sides to correctly fit my figure. I forgot to heed the ‘Measure twice, cut once” rule. Hence, no fabric for the hood.
I added bust darts to the front, put in the zipper, and finished the sleeves and hem. I think it looks pretty cute with the stretch blue belt, but it’s also fine without. I did a really nice job of matching all of the stripes, even in the pocket area. The fabric is what inspired me to make this look. One unusual aspect of it though, is that the stretch runs across the stripes not with them. I made it work though!