Bird Shirt

I surprised my husband with a new shirt this week. I like to try as many different Lekala patterns as time allows and I tend to make most of them for me. But a girl can only wear so many things, so I decided to try this short sleeve men’s pattern. I really like the fabric, however my husband is just ok with it. Please tell him that it looks great! He’s more of a plain shirt guy, who gravitates toward blue and green, plaids and solids.

1376_small_image_6798-1

Fabric: 100% cotton, tan birds on navy blue
 Pattern: Lekala Shirt – Sewing Pattern #6027
Year: Contempory
Notions: 7 buttons, fusible interfacing
 Time to complete:  6 hours
 First worn: June 1, 2014
 Wear again? He will wear it, just to please me, I think.
 Total price: Fabric $15, buttons $4.oo, pattern $3.oo

The photo location is right across the street from my house. They just bailed the hay yesterday, and so we took advantage of this country farm backdrop for a few fashion photos. He is always taking pictures of me in my handmade garments, so it was fun to be on the other side of the camera.

Men’s shirts are easy to make. There are no darts, or set in sleeves. If you take your time, serge seams, and topstitch, you’ll end up with a very nice garment. Buttonholes can be challenging though. I have a new machine with an automatic buttonhole attachment. On my old Pfaff, you pushed the 1, 2, 3 buttons, and it was pretty straight forward. I never had a problem with them. My new Pfaff buttonholer is sensitive to any seam or extra thickness under the attachment. It will just do it’s own thing, and not make the correct buttonhole. I’d like to have a machine just for buttonholes. Is there such a thing? I wish I had one.

Hey, I’m over here, modeling for my wife!

There are fun Indie Pattern sewing contests going on this month over at The Monthly Stitch! My company Lekala.co is one of the sponsors with pattern bundles for the winners. There’s a contest each week, so there are plenty of opportunities to enter, or just enjoy the show! I hope you will stop by. I’ll have a few entries in the contests, so I’ll greatly appreciate any votes you may cast my way. xoxoxoxox

Happy Sewing!

This entry was posted in Blogging, Customizable Sewing Patterns, DIY, Family, Lekala, nature, Sewing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Bird Shirt

1. jess says:

I love it. Looks great!

2. srlsfamily says:

Love it! He should wear it a lot!

3. Linda says:

He looks really handsome. Beautiful shirt

4. I made it!! says:

Tell your husband for me that his shirt looks great!

5. Tanya Maile says:

Great shirt! I sure love the simplicity of making a men’s shirt as well. If there was a machine that just did perfect buttonholes, I would definitely buy it!

6. Lindsay says:

It looks great! I have just made my husband a few shirts with the Colette Negroni pattern, and they came out great. I tried another pattern from the Great British Sewing Bee book and not so good!

I should try that pattern too. This one runs a bit large, even though I put in his measurements. I had to narrow the sides midway down, as he is bigger in the chest than in the hips. Thanks for the compliment! 🙂

7. Very handsome hubbie! And I LOVE everything about the fabric and the shirt. Nice work. Tell him to wear it with pride!

8. Terry kretzmer says:

Excellent shirt. Read your bit about the buttonholer on New Pfaff. I had a similar problem with mine. They replaced the board that controls it and no more problems. It should be covered under your warranty. Took a long while to get the part though but worth it.

Thanks so much for the info about the buttonholer. I’m going to ask my sewing shop, about it. I didn’t think it could be fixed. That would be fantastic not to fret over it.

9. zibergirl says:

I know, it’s perfect for a man. I’ll let him know that he’s getting lots of thumbs up! :). Thank you!

10. Amanda says:

First, you have a very handsome hubby. Second, that shirt looks killer on him! If I saw him out in public in that, I would likely tell him how great I think his shirt is. I have a really bad habit for that. hah! Great job on the shirt.

11. Amanda says:

That’s a great shirt! He MUST wear it again! I just got a Lekala pattern to make a dress and I couldn’t go to bed until I had seen if it really fitted on my mannequin and was going to be the right size! It looks right so far! Fitting is always my weak point so I could become a massive fan! I didn’t realise you were, so I may be asking for help interpreting the instructions! Haha

12. ksgentry says:

Your hubby rocked this shirt. Don’t understand why he doesn’t like the fabric because I think it certainly suits him. Great sewing. So well done.

13. Ebi Poweigha says:

Handsome man and great shirt!

14. Karon Scott says:

Love the shirt and it wears nicely on Hubby. I used to make things for my Hubby but have not done that in 25 years. Maybe I should give it another try.