Fabric: Medium Stretch Jersey Knit from Dharma Trading Company
Pattern: Lekala.co: – Top – Sewing Pattern #4020
Notions: Procion Dye in Yucca and Marigold
Time to complete: Several days, for the dying process, about 1.5 hours to sew
First worn: April 10, 2014
Wear again? Yes, a great canvas for trying out dye colors and Shibori
Total price: 1 yard stretch knit jersey $4.00, Pattern $2.24
I tried a new technique, applying dye with a squirt bottle onto shibori tied fabric. I used Lekala.co #4020 as the garment that would be made from the dyed fabric. It’s a very simple top with a bit of draping in the front and two front sleeve bands.
Here is a step by step pictorial of how I did it:
1. Print out the pattern, tape it together.
2. Lay fabric on top to see how much you need.
3. First, process fabric with soda ash according to instructions at the Dharma Trading Company website. Shibori Fish Scale Design: Fold fabric in fourths, draw scooping lines, end to end, across the fabric with a washable marker.
4. Scrunch or accordion fold around the fabric, following drawn lines.
5. Squirt one color on the tied section. Saturate, let it soak in, and squirt again. I placed my piece up on wire racks so it wouldn’t sit in puddles. Turn over and dye other side.
6. Apply second color to the outside edges. You can use a squirt bottle or a foam brush. Saturate both sides.
7. Wrap up in plastic wrap and let sit over night.
8. Rinse under cold running water until water runs fairly clear. Wash in warm water, rinse, and hang to dry.
9. Cut out the pieces and sew together!
10. Have someone take your picture.