Prayer Service Fashion 2014

Joining in with the National Prayer Service Breakfast today, our local community is having its own Prayer Service Breakfast. A good friend of mine is speaking on behave of the the Jewish Community and is wearing a special outfit that was made to her specifications by me.

The fabric is a Dharma Trading Company Bamboo Rayon. I used Lekala patterns:

1217_small_image_6044Six-gusset Skirt Sewing Pattern #5030

and

1212_small_image_6019Blouse Sewing Pattern #5035

I’ve been busy working on this project for a couple of weeks. First with muslins and fittings and then with all the finishing touches. She’s wearing it with a beautiful hand-dyed scarf that was made by another local artist.

Handmade Frog Clasp

She was very pleased with the finished project, which also made me very happy. Now I can start working on those pants for the Monthly Stitch and continue experimenting with natural dyes as I learn more about it in my college class.

This entry was posted in Art, DIY, Dyeing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Prayer Service Fashion 2014

1. loranc says:

I’ve had my eye on that fabric, how did you like working with it? I’m curious as to how it wears. I love rayons in general, just haven’t bought any yet. Pretty outfit! She’s lucky to have you for a friend : )

2. zibergirl says:

The Bamboo Rayon is buttery soft and easy to sew with. Great for dying too. Thanks for the compliment 🙂

3. Colleen says:

It’s gorgeous! How lucky you are to be able to waltz into Dharma. I remember when I lived in Berkeley a hundred years ago, never even going in their store!

I can’t believe how gorgeous this outfit looks and then when she wore the scarf! Heavenly!

Hi Colleen,
      Thank you for the compliment, it took me forever to get it just right. I did the smart thing though and made muslins first. My friend was very pleased with the results. I’ve actually never been to Dharma Trading Co. It’s over 60 miles away, but I usually can get anything I order within two days because I’m fairly close.

4. Colleen says:

Ha. For some reason, I have put you in Lafayette or Danville…..maybe it’s because you remind me of a friend of mine from when I lived in Lafayette!

5. Margaret Beard says:

Nice job! Looks beautiful on her….