Fisheye Frock #1

IMG_7063Fabric: Rayon black with tiny polka dots

Pattern: McCalls 3589

Year: 1988

Notions: thread, buttons from Singapore via The Sew Convert

Time to complete: a few hours

First worn: October 1 to Costume Construction Class at the Community College

Wear again? Yes, I love those little buttons

Total price: Next to nothing….as the fabric is from the thrift and the buttons were a gift.

My goal is to make at least four blouses during the month of October. I love to make dresses, but they are mostly spring and summer styles. So now that it’s fall and then winter, I’m concentrating my efforts on shirt and blouse making for awhile.

Set the timer for 10 sec. Run around and pose!

try to keep your eyes open!

This blouse patten was super easy. I like the self-front facing, no collar, short little sleeves, and the dart/tuck details in the front and back. It looks almost like a peplum, the way that the tucks open up just under the natural waist.

My whole inspiration for using this fabric is so that I could highlight these little colorful buttons that I received as a gift at the end of the Sew Weekly Reunion. They remind me of fish eyes.

red, green, blue on yellow

So cute!

Adey, one of the hosts of the reunion, put together a darling assortment of buttons that I am just drooling over. Making blouses and shirts will give me ample opportunity to use them. Lucky me!

I used a photo timer app for taking my own pictures, since I was ready and the photographer was tennising. For some reason, they all turned out low resolution, and thus smaller than I prefer. The only good thing is that you can’t  see any wrinkles! 🙂 Can anyone recommend a good timer that doesn’t mess with the resolution of your iPhone?

I have also posted these pictures on The Monthly Stitch, an awesome group of contributors are sharing theme based sewing every month. You can join too!

This entry was posted in DIY, Sewing, Upcycle, vintage and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Fisheye Frock #1

1. Cherie says:

Very cute blouse! I have that pattern, must use!

Thank you. They don’t give instructions for piecing the front facing to the neck facing for the v-neck version. It took me some unpicking time to finally figure it out.

2. Anny says:

I just love your blouse! And I think it’s so funny the buttons were the inspiration–I totally get that!!

3. DMgirl says:

Love this shirt! I usually make skirts and dresses, but I really need to work on some shirts. I have the camera+ app on the iphone and it has a self-timer that I like. I don’t use it too often but I have been happy with it when I do.

Thanks for the compliment and the suggested app. I’m going to try it out.

I’m a 38-32-42, but I find that often the fit in the shoulders and neck can be a bit big, so I usually sew a size 14 to 16. I am more inclined to make a muslin first and adjust from there. The bust size on this pattern reads size 14 with 36 bust. It had a lot of ease so I went with the 14. When I make this blouse again, I’ll grade out toward the 16 from the bust down as it would fit better through the waist if I did so. I hope this helps you with your fitting. May I suggest just making the front and back out of an old sheet or other fabric and see how it looks first.

4. Gjeometry says:

Very cute! And, you’re right, the buttons totally make it!

5. Amanda says:

Love it! Buttons are gorgeous and it is a great fit.

6. Chris Hansen says:

If you want every once in awhile I’d like to do a fashion shoot with you and “tennis boy”. You could sew for him too!

7. I followed you over from The Monthly Stitch. Like I said there, I LOVE this blouse! I never would have seen the combination of the v neck on view A. I need to work on seeing more potential in 80’s patterns. The envelope art seems so frumpy to me, but this blouse is completely chic and awesome. May I ask which size you cut versus measurements? Was there was a lot of ease built into this that you removed by sizing down? Love the fit and whole look.

8. cathynd95 says:

Loving everything about your blouse…and those red shoes too!! The pleats reminded me that I have a great pattern for thw October Frock challenge as well. Happy sewing!

9. Sorry! Just read the above comment on the sizing. 🙂

10. Zoe says:

It’s very pretty, I love the fabric. Rayon is so lovely to sew with and to wear!

11. loranc says:

I love those pleats, and the buttons are the icing on the shirt-cake : )

12. ksgentry says:

What a great blouse, the fabric is perfect, the buttons are the crowning glory! And the pleats, they are glorious! Triple crown winner!

13. judy says:

Love your blouse.. So cute..