I finished my cotton dress for the Fall for Cotton sewing challenge hosted by Roshelle and Tasha.
I used the Elisabeth 1950’s dress pattern from the book BurdaStyle VIntage Modern.
I really love this book, which I borrowed from the library. I could tell that I was the first person to actually use the inclosed patterns to trace off two of the vintage looks that I planned to make. The sizing of the patterns fit me wonderfully with out any alterations. I love when that happens. I did make bodice muslins first thought, just to be sure.
Besides the 1950’s dress, I also traced off the 1920’s pattern and made it up in a muslin. It’s adorable! It has a drop waist and 3 bias cut ruffles that hang beautifully. I can’t wait to make that one up in a pretty apparel fabric.
The fabric that I used for this dress is a thrifted blue, pink, and white checked seersucker. I lined the bodice top with the same fabric. I have a new sewing machine that does fancy stitching, so I went around the neckline with a row of little blue flowers. I put a short pink metal zipper in the side, and finished the skirt with a narrow machine-stitched hem. It is so cute! I can’t wait to make another one.
Everything is wonderful about this dress but there was an unfortunate event. After I made the dress, I noticed that on the back of the skirt near the bottom, there was a big faded area, probably from the sun or bleach. Oh dear, what to do! I decided to bleach the whole dress in an attempt to match the spot. It worked fairly well. I don’t think any one would notice except for the judges on Project Runway! I learned a good lesson: check thrifted fabric before sewing it up.
Thank you, ladies, for hosting such a fun challenge. Vintage and cotton are a few of my favorite things!