That 70’s Dress

That 70’s Dress

For my vintage look  for The Monthly Stitch, I selected a pattern printed in 1970. It was the start of a new decade, and the start of  a young woman, me, in my sophomore year of high school. Even back then, I was making myself clothes. Mostly I made peasant blouses, empire waist blouses, and mini dresses. Plus I could skillfully peg pants, add patches, and embroidery on my overalls. It was an exciting time to be alive! A lot was happening in the world of fashion, even in a small town. Boys wanted to grow their hair long and girls wanted to wear pants to school! Finally we were able to do those things, but not without protest from the establishment.

I chose Simplicity 9204 for the year 1970,  for the cute style element of the keyhole neckline and I put it together with Very Easy Vogue 8843 because of the same princess seam, short sleeve style, but it was in the correct size.

I used a polyester purple and white checked thrifted fabric from my stash. I didn’t quite have enough to lay it all straight of grain, so the front sides are cut on the bias. I think it looks better this way.

I had to go back to the drawing board several times to get the neck to fit, and ultimately, my keyhole does not meet together at the center, but has a cute little button detail as a faux closure that allows for a more comfortable fit.I had the perfect trim to match the color of the dress and used it around the neck and keyhole. Which I think finished it off rather nicely.

I rarely make anything out of polyester. I think of all those polyester blouses and pants my mom liked because they were wash- and-wear, and no ironing was needed. I thought they were awful as a teen. But I don’t feel that way when it comes to this dress, or I’m just older, and wash-and-wear appeals to me too! 😉

The fabric worked out very well for this style. It has a little stretch, doesn’t wrinkle, and hangs very nicely. It was a synch to  cut and sew, there was absolutely no unraveling, so no serging was needed.

I really like it and so does my husband! I  usually change back into  everyday clothes after a photo shoot, but this time, I wore it all day long. It’s pretty, and comfortable. I think my mom would approve!

This entry was posted in DIY, Family, Sewing, Upcycle, vintage and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to That 70’s Dress

1. Anny says:

So very cute!!! Good choices all around!

2. You are so adorable, Barbara! Your photo shoot looks like so much fun. Who takes your pictures?

3. You look just like my mom. I swear she made that dress back in the day. Every afternoon before my dad came home from work she got a bath, put on makeup and slipped into a polyester dress like yours. Just like you and your mom, I thought my mom looked dorky but now I want this dress! Going on eBay now to find that pattern.

Thank you! Yes, it sure brings back a lot of fond memories and a few laughs at how things change but always seem to come back around.

4. Lu Ann says:

I love all that you had to say about the 70’s! I graduated high school in 1971, so I can so relate! I remember when we were given permission by the school for girls to wear pants to school. I was a senior. My mother would not let my twin sister and I wear pants, though, because she said that we could not concentrate and study if we weren’t dressed up in a dress. Hmmm. How things have changed! Love your dress. I sewed all of my clothes back then, too.

5. Great job Barbara! Love it!

6. anothersewingscientist says:

I’m sure others have said this, but how is it possible that you were in high school in 1970?!? You look the same age as me, and I was BORN in 1970 😉 Love this cute dress, and I also really loved your last post about the collage quilting retreat. What a fantastic setup to bring creative people together, get a small peek at farm life, and enjoy the quiet concentration. I’d love to find something similar close to my home.

Thank you, Vicki! Yes, I’m a grandmother too. I have two very cute granddaughters who are 12 and 15! How about that? BYW, I’m a big fan of your blog.

7. what a lovely dress!

8. colleen says:

I love that dress. I’m two years older than you and there’s just something about lavendar gingham that reminds me of my teen years, or preteen years. I look at your dress and feel like I can see it on my mom’s sewing table. I agree that 1970 was exciting for clothes. I used to stay up all night embroidering fairy tales on my jeans! I had the little mermaid on knee and the steadfast tin soldier on my other thigh! And then tons of patchwork in the back, ala Neil Young’s jeans on “After the Goldrush.” Ah, the 70’s! Ah, my darling youth! Here’s to us, miss!

9. Gjeometry says:

Love your 70s dress! The fabric is so pretty and I like that figure 8 closure you added to the front. Nice design detail. I love 70s fashions and am actually at work on a 1970s Diane Von Furstenberg dress for my Monthly Stitch Vintage Pattern make.