The Birthday Bash!

This week we enjoyed a great Birthday Party Bash for my daughter Kimberly. She rented a house with a pool for the weekend in the lovely town of Sonoma, and invited friends and family to join her. Of course, I took her finished Hawthorn dress and the other Hawthorn for my youngest daughter, so I could mark the hem. I feel like the traveling dressmaker these days! Both girls tried on their dresses and were delighted. I’m so pleased with how I perfected the fit using the method that I learned on Craftsy –Sew the Perfect Fit. My sewing confidence and skills have been elevated to a new level.

I decided to wear a dress that I made for the Sew Weekly 2012 from this pattern.

B5708

Butterick 5708

I’ve never worn it except for pictures. It is the perfect summer pool party dress though, so it had it’s depute.

It’s made from thrifted giant polka dot fabric that made for a fabulous rendition of this 1950’s Rock a Billy style.

I got tons of compliments and praise for making it myself. My girls would proudly chime in “She made it!,” to the surprised guests.

I brought a peach crumble for dessert and it turned out scrumptious!

I have one more Hawthorn to go and then I’m taking a break from that design and moving on to the challenges for The Monthly Stitch and the Sew Weekly Reunion  sewing events.  I’m participating in the pattern and notion surprise gift exchange and I have already sent of my package to a dressmaker in the UK. I hope she has received her gift by now.

Here are a few pics from the Birthday Party.

. Enjoy your week and thanks for stopping by!

This entry was posted in DIY, Family, Sewing, Upcycle, vintage and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Birthday Bash!

1. foamofdays says:

Love your dress! So vintage and chic!

2. erin says:

It’s such an adorable dress, love the ties at the shoulders!

Thank you, Erin. The ties can be tricky to tie just right, but it’s so different than most dresses these days that it has it’s on wow factor.

3. Trish Blair says:

Love that dress Barbara – I still need to try that pattern!

4. Jacq C says:

My swap parcel has arrived in the UK – thank you so much for the patterns and notions, I am thrilled with them
    Jacq 🙂

5. Great dress! I can imagine you have got a lot of compliments 🙂

6. oh that dress look fabulous on you! I’ve made the same one too, but enlarged it a little bit too much:) seeing what it should look like makes me want to go at it again! really- great dress!

7. Pingback: The polka dot experience | sewinggoddess

8. Gjeometry says:

Wow, it’s a very pretty dress! Looks just great on you, love the polka dots.