The “Loran” Blouse

After my exciting two weeks on the Refashion Runway event hosted by Beth at Renegade Seamstress, I had time to finally finish my “Loran Blouse” muslin. It turned out to be a wearable one, so I’m very pleased.

Loran is a fantastic seamstress, who blogs over at Loran’s World. If you don’t have her on your bloglovin, you should definitely check her out! She loves sewing vintage, takes the most amazing pictures, and writes a very informative and entertaining blog. She and I, along with many other sewers were contributors to the SEW WEEKLY project during 2012. We were a few of the sewers whom actually sewed 52 outfits in 52 weeks according to a specific theme.  Presently Loran is hosting several sew-alongs of her own as well as creating awesome DIY sewing tutorials. Her most recent is how to sew elastic on the legs, and waist of dance pants, or undies, without using elastic! You can check that out here.

Back to the “Loran” Blouse. She was such a dear to copy the pattern for me and send it up north. I was so excited to receive it. I was smiling from ear to ear! She even copied it on grided interfacing fabric. It will last forever!

I decided to make a muslin first, because the pattern is a size 40 and needed to be slightly adjusted. I used a thrifted yellow gingham fabric. The little squares helped to line everything up right.  I added yellow buttons, and should have left the bottom one off so that it would have more ease around the hips.

This is a great blouse to wear tucked into a skirt. I wore it with a jean skirt on a day that we went to Coppola’s for lunch with my husband’s brother, his daughter and girlfriend, and his mother, who also lives with us.

If you want to treat yourself right, spend a day poolside at this great restaurant/winery/day resort. You’ll feel like you are in Italy! It’s gorgeous.

Here’s a link to Loran wearing this great blouse, with a cute matching skirt.

This entry was posted in DIY, Sewing, vintage and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The “Loran” Blouse

1. loranc says:

VERY cute!! I’ve been wanting to make this in a gingham and now I may have to do it this weekend, now that I see yours : ) I started doing only one tuck on each side of the back, then I don’t worry about the snug hip thing and can button all the buttons. And don’t you love those pleated shoulders?

Yes, I really like the pleated shoulder. Good idea for the fit around the hips. Since this was my muslin, next time I will make the sleeves a bit shorter, the armhole a bit higher, and the collar a tiny bit smaller. Have a great 4th!

• Loran says:

I made the sleeves about 3″ shorter, or as short as I can get them and still have a small cuff or hem. And I did make the collar a tad smaller on a couple of my shirts as well. Happy 4th to you and your family! (and email me if you get a chance, there is something up on Flickr that I want to ask you about)

2. sgsy says:

Looks really nice on you!

3. Looks amazing. Great job!

4. kazzthespazz says:

Looks fantastic Barbara

5. Nay says:

Hi Barbara, I’ve nominated you for the Super Sweet Blogger Award at http://thewardrobesurgeon.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/super-sweet-blogger-award/

6. Great blouse Barb,
    So happy for you on your domain and retirement from teaching. Don’t know if I will ever be able to retire (teaching is my second career I was a latecomer) Have you seen/signed up for my giveaway my new refashion friend? Here is the link:
    I don’t want you to miss out.