The Turmeric Striped T-Shirt

The voting has started! Please pop on over to the Refashion Runway and vote for me. Thanks!

Here’s the low down on my first entry for Refashion Runway hosted by the Renegade Seamstress. I had one sleepless night coming up with all sorts of ideas for something striped made from something else. I decided to make my own stripes, so next I had to find something to use to do the stripes. My first idea was mustard because it stains, right? Well, I tried it and it dried to a very dull, unexciting color. I did some research and discovered the awesome qualities of turmeric. There are tons of how-to’s on the internet and so after learning about it, I started my refashion.

First, I had to do a little shopping for the right extra-large t-shirt at the Goodwill.

I ended up buying more than one at the swell price of $1.99 for future projects. Next I had to cut the t-shirt down to a feminine version that was just right for me. I cut off the sleeves and the neck, and then cut up the center of the logo, so that I would have more of the plain fabric to work with. From the old sleeves, I cut new sleeves using the existing hemmed band on the sleeve edge.

After sewing up the top, I strategically placed rubber bands around the shirt to form the stripes.

Then I prepared the dye. I filled a pot with water and added about 5 tablespoons of turmeric powder. Which I purchased at the health food store for less than 5 dollars. I brought the mixture to a boil, turned it down  some , and let it cook for about 30 minutes. Then I added 1/2 cup of vinegar (it helps the color bind to the fabric) . Next I wet the shirt under the tap and then popped it into the pot. I weighted it down with a small lid and let it cook for about 45 minutes.

I rinsed it until the water ran clear and removed the rubber bands. That’s the most exciting part, because you never know how it is going to turn out.

I was very impressed with the dark bright color that the turmeric provided. I’m thrilled with the final result.

I hope my striped t-shirt is worthy of your vote this week. Head on over to Renegade Seamstress and give me and the other talented seven contestants a bit of your time in appreciation of there craft and creativity in refashioning. Thanks!

This entry was posted in DIY, Sewing, Upcycle and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Turmeric Striped T-Shirt

1. It’s beautiful . . . and I LOVE your photos! 🙂

2. Nanasknoll says:

I JUST LOVED IT. New to this kind of thing. Use to patterns. So when you cut the logo off, did the front become the back of the shirt.
    Also do you know of any other kinds of natural dyes or do you use commercial dyes.
    Nina

Thanks, Nina. This particular men’s extra large t-shirt did not have side seams so I ended up with a wide piece of fabric. However, in order to get both the back and the front, I did have to put a seam down the back. I used a favorite t-shirt pattern that I have made to my measurements. I don’t really use a lot of dyes,I just thought something natural might be fun to try. I got my inspiration for that from a podcast: thread cult by daughter fish. She’s awesome!

3. Irene says:

I thinkyou had a bright idea! And I love that you documented the process- could you please tell us whether the final colour would be different (milder?) if the cooking time was cut down to let’s say 20-30 minutes?

Thank you! This was my first time ever trying it. After reading many DiY’s on the process, I learned that the longer you leave it in, the darker it will be. A good rule of thumb is that once you remove it from the dye, it will be a least two shades lighter once it drys. If it is too light, you can put it back in, if you’ve saved the dye.

4. Cheryl says:

Great new T-shirt! I’m wondering what you did at the top of the sleeves? It looks like an inverted pleat or a small gather that adds a little style detail.

5. Great Job!
    So nice to find your site and compete with you. Good Luck!

6. sgsy says:

Such a sunny top and what happy photos! Great adventure with the turmeric. I’ve not experimented with dyes but it might be on my to-try list now.

7. So clever! Good luck with the challenge! ~M.

8. How clever to dye with turmeric! I love the beautiful shade of yellow it turned out! I’ll have to try that! Great job! 🙂
    ~Jen

9. photosarah says:

Love that you did that with a regular old t-shirt. It looks great!

10. Patti says:

Love this refashion. Wish I had saved some t shirts I just gave away to GW. Oh, well… never thought about trying to dye them. Thanks for the inspiration!

11. kazzthespazz says:

VOTED! Great job Barbara I hope you win.

12. I love this, Barbara! The colours came out wonderful.

13. ProjinOut says:

So beautiful! It fits you perfectly, and that yellow is so vibrant, I can’t wait to try it myself!

• ProjinOut says:

So as a follow-up, I tried this that same night and it was so easy and my boring white blouse is now beautiful! Thank you for the idea!

14. Pingback: Tumeric Yellow Shirt | The Hungry Octopus

15. Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback?
    If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you
    can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

Hi Selena,
      No, I don’t get a lot of spam. In fact, in the last 5 to 6 years, I’ve only had about 10! I do approve messages before they are posted. I hope you can resolve that spam issue because I’m sure it’s annoying. Thanks for reading my blog!