Red Corduroy Coat Delivered!

Not far from my daughter’s house in Santa Rosa, is the Historic McDonald District in Santa Rosa. Many of the houses in this neighborhood are featured in well-known movies such as “Pollyanna”, “Shadow of a Doubt”, and  “Scream”. We stood in front of the McDonald Mansion for a few shots of Leah modeling her new coat. It looks lovely on her, if I do say so myself, but most importantly the fit was spot on and she really likes it.

Back with ruffles

Coat with ruffle back

Close up of coat back

Coat front

front close up

silver buttons

Leah and Susie

Happy with the coat and her new kitty!

This entry was posted in Family, Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Red Corduroy Coat Delivered!

1. This coat might just be the most perfect thing I’ve ever seen! I want to make one exactly like it for myself! Beautiful job, and what a lucky daughter you have!

2. Kimberly says:

Adorbz! Cat and coat!

3. kazzthespazz says:

Yay!! she turned out magnificent Barbara, a job well done, perfect fit indeed. LOVE IT!!

4. Megan says:

Wow, I really love that coat. Very pretty, I love the back.

5. Great Coat and fab colour! Your girl is naturally lovely, my girl would love this coat too.

6. gorgeous coat, wow! it looks fabulous in corduroy. i love all of the details!

7. KathleenS says:

Great coat! I like the corduroy fabric in combination with the style.

8. Dawn Aloi says:

Beautiful coat! I have the pattern all cut out and feel lost. The instructions are very hard to follow, maybe some things were lost in translation. You’re the only one I’ve found online so has made this piece, would you be willing to share some insight on this project? Just had twin boys a few months ago and this is my first major project so I have my hands full 🙂 thanks in advance

I also had a difficult time understanding all of the directions. I did fine up until the collar and lining. I believe there is a proper way to attach the lining to the inside collar piece, and then sew it to the back collar piece, but I ran into major confusion at that point. I remember that I did sew the lining, without sleeves to the inside lapels and then turned it having raw edges at the collar and sleeve holes. I attached the collar, like you would on a blouse, and then turned the lining under a bit and hand-stitched it down around the neck. I basted the raw edges of the lining at the sleeve openings, slipped in the lining for the sleeve and hand-stitched it down. The pattern also wants you to attach the lining at the hem of the coat, which I did. However, I noticed that the lining is pulling up the outside coat here and there. I plan to detach the lining and let it hang freely inside. Beware, there is not a lot of wiggle room in the hem allowance for this. I’ll probably have to serge the bottom edge of the lining and call it finished. I hope this helps.
      PS: You can get really wide, iron-on interfacing at: http://www.FashionSewingSupply.com. I used it on all of the coat pieces. Another blogger that might be helpful is Goodbye Valentino. She’s an expert sewer.